Thursday, January 14, 2010

The Ugly Sweater

Let me start off by saying that I love my grandmas. They are both wonderful and so special to me. The particular grandma that I'm going to write about is my Grandma Marie. Since I'm in no danger of her ever seeing this I'm going to tell you a story about an ugly sweater but before I do, you need a little background about her to fully understand my little old granny.

We don't ever eat at grandma's. She likes to make things like green jello, with mixed veggies and mayo on top. Yes, that is all together not jello separate from the veggies and mayo. Yum.

She once super glued both of her eyelids shut (don't ask), ate not one but two bath soaps thinking they were chocolate (apparently the first one didn't taste right so she tried another) and once bought my brother Barney the Purple Dinosaur underwear when he was 10 or 12 (he was not happy). I have tons of great memories of playing games, singing songs and having tea parties but sometimes she's just a little clueless.

When Will was about two weeks old my darling grandmother sent him a present. Usually we're a little worried when she buys presents (we got a dancing snowman who liked to shake his groove thing for Christmas two years ago and a light up town that sings carols this year. Awesome.). I open the package to find a handmade knitted sweater. As a fellow knitter, I can appreciate the amount of time and effort that went into this sweater. Unfortunately, I don't really appreciate the sweater itself. Another unfortunate event is that you can't get the full 3D effect of the sweater. Yes, I said 3D. The cowboys actually pop out of the sweater. This is a sweater that every old lady thinks is adorable and no mother would want their child wearing.
I told her it was adorable and will be the good granddaughter and take a picture of him to sent to her. Maybe it will make is embarrassing child pictures in his wedding someday. Oh Grandma, we love you anyway.

1 comment:

Karen said...

I was laughing the entire time I read this because I knew exactly what you are talking about! Makes me so nervous about what she might be working on for our little one who is on the way!