Sunday, February 15, 2009

Hey You Guys!!

That's right! We went to Astoria for the weekend, totally spur of the moment and totally worth getting away for a little bit. We found a mega 70's hotel to stay at for $57 bucks and Kenya was free! It wasn't close to a 5 star place but it had a bed and bathroom and that's all we needed. Our only minor problem was Kenya struggling with being in a different place for the night and dealing with noises and people from neighboring rooms; that and the fact that I forgot all of my bathroom necessities and had to use Timo's toothbrush and deodorant, which really grossed me out.
The weather was absolutely beautiful on Saturday and spend the entire afternoon at the beach playing on the sand and looking at an amazing shipwreck that happened in 1906. It was Kenya's first time at the beach and she loved it! I couldn't believe how well behaved she was.


The weather today wasn't nearly as nice... actually it was horrible. Cold, windy, rainy, maybe some snow mixed in... but it was pretty miserable. We didn't let that stop us from going on our Goonies tour of Astoria. I was so excited to see the "Goonie house", the jail, the windy road that Brand had to ride the pink bike on. It was awesome for me and I think I hit a new level of dorkyness for Timo but oh well.

After our Goonie tour we went and saw John Jacob Astor Elementary school where Kindergarten Cop was filmed (sorry no picture, I wasn't as excited about that) and then up to see the Astoria Column where you can look down and see all of Astoria, the Columbia and the ocean. It was a pretty amazing sight. The column was closed for repairs but you can climb the 164 steps to the top to get an even better view so we'll be going back to see that again. After that it was off to introduce Kenya to the Sea Lions, go back to the beach one last time and off to Fort Stevens which was a military base that was active from the Civil War to WWII. Then it was time to head home, take a nap and return to the real world. Hopefully we won't wait so long next time to get away.


1 comment:

Teresa Van Voorst said...

I would have totally done the Goonie's tour with you! I love that movie!!!!